Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Friday, May 20, 2011

Special Feature Interview with Nicole!

Hey everyone!

As you all know, we have been working on a little project besides the Sunday interviews ( http:/ /sogoprostreet.blogspot.com/2011/03/message-from-peter-and-miryam.html)! We plan to make this a regular. Until now we had a Sunday interview every second week. Now, once in a while we will post a “Special Feature” interview on Saturdays instead. So let us proudly present to you our first “Special Feature” interview:


Name: Nicole


As we all know, our SoGoPro Street Teamers are spread all over the globe, not always growing up with the English tongue and sometimes having trouble understanding everything. So this is where Nicole jumps in. For everyone who doesn’t know her yet, she’s our dear old soul who makes all these fantastic transcripts to all the blogs/vlogs/podcasts. The transcripts have always been very special to us, especially to Peter. So we are very proud to start our “Special Feature interviews” off with Nicole. Nicole ( http://www.sogopro.com/user/26 ) is originally from New Jersey, but currently studying Film Production at Emerson College in Boston (the same college that our very own Nicholas Gray graduated from!)

Peter: Nicole, thank you so much for agreeing to be interviewed by us. This really means a lot. How did you get the idea of transcribing the vlogs? Did anyone ask you to do it or was it your idea? And why did you feel the need of doing it in the first place?



Nicole: Thank you again for all your support! I'm glad the transcripts are able to help you so much! Hearing back from people like you who use the transcripts is what keeps me going, so thank you again!
I stumbled upon the original SoGoPro blog one of the first days it was put up (over two years ago!) and I was immediately intrigued because I love Wilmington, I was a fan of Hilarie Burton, and I was thinking of studying film in the future so this was a perfect opportunity for me to get involved with a production company. I was dying for a way to help the company when I saw a comment one day from a fan who couldn't hear the video because she was deaf, and I wanted to find a way to help her and others who may have similar problems. So I emailed Kelly and I got an email back right away saying that the production company would love my help! It was a little later that the SGP community grew worldwide so I began also writing the transcripts for those who didn't know English well. And luckily I have a whole team of people helping me to translate the transcripts into French and Spanish so more people can understand them. (Thanks to Marion, Val, Audrey, Niamh, Veronica, Ella and Irene!!)

Peter: Oh what a touching story. I never thought of it in that way, but yes, of course, deaf people really do need transcripts aswell! Do you have a certain technique of how to transcribe the vlogs? And how long do you need for a transcription?


Nicole: My technique is pretty simple. I have a word document for all the vlog transcripts and I just play the video and type what I hear. The amount of time it takes me really varies on how long the video is and who is talking. A 3-minute video might take me only 5 minutes but a 20-minute video might take me 45 minutes. If the people talking in the video speak really fast, it takes me longer because there is more to type. Also, if someone is on the vlogs a lot I get more familiar with the way they speak, so it is easier to transcribe them. I have gotten pretty good at any Nick, Hilarie, or KT vlogs. But I honestly enjoy doing them so it's never a burden! I love helping the SGP community!

Peter: Impressive. I would have thought it would take much longer. Were there any difficulties arising in transcribing the vlogs/podcasts that you didn't expect? Is there any transcription of yours very dear to you, and if so, then why?


Nicole: They are extremely good at having clear audio for all the vlogs and podcasts, so I rarely have any difficulty! I wish I could do more transcripts, like Denise's music podcasts, but I unfortunately don't have the time. (However, Miryam has helped me and hopefully I will get her transcripts up soon! Thanks again Miryam!!) In the beginning, I needed to learn a few simple URL codes so I could post everything on the website, so, as usual, Megan saved me once again and quickly taught me everything! One of my favorite transcripts is Vlog #18 (http://sogopro.com/transcript018), "Inspired by..." This vlog was the one where Hilarie and Nick are looking through pictures in "The Young People's Speaker" and saying captions for each picture. The vlog was hilarious and I remember laughing the whole time I was typing it. I have the most fun doing the vlogs that make me laugh (which is most of them). I also loved transcribing "The True-Love Tale of Boyfriend and Girlfriend" because that was my favorite SGP project so far. It gave me an excuse to watch it again!

Peter: Haha, that sounds as if you have a great time doing them. Do you have a wish for a special vlog or podcast which you would love to see or hear about? Something that especially interests you?

Nicole: I am always interested in what the vlogs or podcasts are about, so, like everyone else, I get excited when I see something new is posted on the page! I wouldn't say there is anything in particular that I would love to see in a vlog, except that I would love to see another vlog with KT, Hilarie, and Nick together again. I know they are busy in different places at the moment but I would love to see them reunite again!

Peter: Yes, that would be nice! And is there anything you would like to share about SoGoPro and the street team, maybe something that impressed you about them?

Nicole: Man, the SGP street team impresses me everyday. When SGP takes a break from posting for a while I am always worried the site will die down, but the street team is always updating with pictures or blogs or just talking in the chat. It's awesome to see that other people are as devoted as I am to the company. I don't get to write in the chat a lot but I love seeing people I know in there and I read back on conversations a lot just to see how everyone is doing. I love that the SoGoPro community is so welcoming and committed to the company and to each other. Every once in the while I will get emails from other SGP members who want to thank me for doing the transcripts. It's awesome to hear from them and see how caring everyone on the site is.

Peter: How true. So, is there anything you have learned for yourself from the ST or SGP that has changed/helped you in your life? Did you have any special experiences with the street team which you would like to share? Is there a special moment that you cherish the most?

Nicole: I like this question! It brings up lots of good memories that I have gotten from SGP! Well, first of all, right from the beginning the SGP community welcomes you with open arms. Not only were the other street team members reaching out to include me when there was only a few of us, but as I said earlier, I easily got in touch with KT through email so I felt like the whole company was easily accessible. There are two moments that I cherish the most. One was the St. Patrick's Day video that Megan put together for the company. I loved seeing everyone in a video together expressing how much SGP means to them. And I liked that it showed KT, Hilarie, Nick and everyone else who has helped out that their work really meant something to us. For once we were thanking them instead of them thanking us! The other moment that I will always remember was when I was able to meet up with KT and Ali. They happened to be traveling through my hometown in Jersey and offered to meet up. It was an amazing experience and even though I was only in high school they were both very, very kind and I got to show some history buffs around my historic town! That was a lot of fun and we got great pictures out of the visit! As a film student, this whole SGP experience has just been awesome because this company is the kind of company I would love to work at in the future!

Peter: And I wish you all the best in achieving this goal! Thank you so much for this beautiful interview! For all you readers: As always, we hope you enjoyed it greatly and would love to give you all the opportunity to ask a fellow SoGoPro Street Team Member questions about a subject you always wanted to know more about! So put on your thinking caps! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved