Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Femme Fatale- Britney is Back

I don't usually take the time to post my thoughts on current music. It's not that I don't have them, but I rarely feel inspired to share any genuine emotional reaction. There usually aren't many.
I've come to understand about myself, that I will always love Pop Music. I have room in my heart for other styles and genres, but unlike most other people I really may never grow out of buying into the glamour that Britney Spears and those of her kind bring to the industry. I don't "love" or idolize the people, but rather appreciate their role in the evolution of Pop Sound. What I will say later shall show you what I mean.

I am a lot older now than when I screamed bloody murder over Justin Timberlake, so I understand the marketing tactics and the way these pop stars and their teams- lure in customers. I was that customer- and as I grow, I continue to be. The Pop Machine made me exactly who they wanted. Darn!

Even so- I bought- yes as in purchased- the new Britney Spears album, Femme Fatale. I had low expectations. Every album prior to this one, always had a couple great songs, a few decent, and the rest- unlistenable. Her voice production would just be annoying and I always wondered why she couldn't just let go, have fun- and do more than just deliver the lyrics but, feel them- even if she doesn't have the best singing voice.

Femme Fatale changes things for me because it is electropop at it's very best. If you liked early Britney- you would appreciate this album because the formula is the same but the production is top notch. Finally we are free of the tacky midi (except for a couple tracks like "Inside out", "Criminal") and given hard, electro synth. You want to move to nearly every track. The simplicity in "How I Roll" keeps me turning it back on- the beat is creative and she actually sounds kind of cute. The vocal production is not offensive, at all. She may have that nasal sound and it's not for everyone- but I absolutely appreciate how far her sound has come.

"Hold It Against Me", the first single, caught me right away. I had a feeling though, this would be that one track on the album I'd know, and like. I was so wrong! The second single, "Dance Until The World Ends" sends me back into my Tap days- every time I hear it I see myself choreographing some kind of insane tap routine. Wish that could come into fruition! If you want to hear a track that could have been relased in the Disco era- "Big Fat Bass" featuring will.i.am will do it. Lyrics are simple, but you can appreciate the vibe it creates. "I Wanna Go" is what I would call a "classic Britney tune". Love it.

"Inside Out" is without a doubt my most prized song on the entire record. The use of Dub-Step is so refreshing. I clearly remember the days when there would be a radio single, and then the remix of a Britney (Christina, Nsync whoever) for club use. We are so beyond that time. We no longer bring in the techno God after the marginal record is done- we bring them in before the record is done. It's awesome. The folks behind this album paid attention to detail, and were extremely aware of the statement it makes to have someone like Britney approve the Dub-step movement and "Seal It With A Kiss" (another track I love for it's hard electronic feel).


Inside Out- Give it a listen!

I personally could have done without "Gasoline" but I'll get over it, since it was only on the Deluxe edition. Also- "Up n' Down" was another I felt was okay but not amazing. "Trip to Your Heart" gets stuck in my head, it's light and catchy. "Trouble for Me" is one of those songs I think everyone can relate to in some way... For that reason I found myself interested in the song- I do think it's on the more generic side compared to other tracks though.

It may not be your style- but if you miss those good ol' Britney pop songs, but not their terrible quality- check out this album. You might be surprised.

If you do, tell me what you liked most or how it compares to your old view of Brit Brit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved