Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

all things music...




The passing of SGP's first anniversary made me think about when I joined this wonderful community and what I was doing at the time.
Then I remembered, the 26th of July, the day after I signed up I was playing the last game of Netball I probably ever will.  That day my body betrayed me.  My knee collapsed as I landed, and that night not being able to move I sat on my Mac Book and watched every single Vlog the Hellick had recorded; and the next day I started on the blogs…
It was a memorable moment for me on so many levels, and I was kind of curious how everyone else threw themselves into this world?
Kendall asked what artists from past podcasts have become a part of our lives.  I’ve been slowly becoming familiar with each and every single artist and band SGP have supported.  As a result I have become a new fan of a great many of them.  So to choose just one is going to be particularly difficult for me.  Not to mention the fact that I’ve still not gotten through them all.  I like to take my time.  So perhaps I may update with my thoughts at a later date.
I completely love the work of Bibis Ellison.  Though with her aside there are a great many more from the podcasts that have truly hit a mark with me.  Not to mention SGP’S ‘Music Monday’ suggestions, the lastfm page, Hilarie and Nick’s pickings, Pedestrian playlist...and a great many, many, many, many more. 

Though the stand outs for me personally are as follows:
 ‘Pearl and the Bear Band’ are simply beautiful.  Perfect for taking with you to the beach, laying on the sand, closing your eyes and just letting the music carry you.
It’s fun, and cruising.

I could paint all day to ‘The Rest’ they just have this really mellow, relaxing sensation.  Of course what I choose to listen to would ultimately depend on my mood at the time; this one would be for a good day.

‘The Low Anthem’, totally in love with the old sound they have going.  It’s porch worthy.

‘Wakey Wakey’ are most definitely astoundingly chill worthy.  I am in love with 'War Sweater' (listen to it) The message really hits home for me.  And it's songs like this that I live for.

I consider 'Gabe Dixon Band', a ‘put the top down on your car and just drive’ band.  I really love these guys.  …and for that reason I would have to say that so far I’m vibing on them most! 
‘Disappear’ is insanely sweet.
“Music calls us home when we’re looking for the answer”, ‘Music calls us Home’, Gabe Dixon Band.  You can’t put it any simpler.

I honestly don’t have a favourite just yet.  They each bring something different to the table and as a result I can not make a decision just yet when it comes to voting.  Plus there is so much more I still need to listen to and familiarise myself with.
The idea of supporting each of these bands and purchasing their albums, leaves me absolutely excited and beyond thrilled.  Unfortunately I have to pace myself as I’ve not been blessed with an endless supply of cash.  Never the less, there are great many tools to listen to music online via lastfm and myspace, and I’m happy with that.
While I can not play an instrument and compose music I have a huge appreciation for it.  It’s an art all unto itself.  To be recognised is a hugely satisfying accomplishment.  And to have a song move you to tears, offer realisation, hold a sense of hope, release bottled up anger/stress/an emotion of any sort, is greatly satisfying.
If you haven’t checked out SGP’S Street Team Music Page yet, you really should spend a couple of days rifling through it all.  And yes I mean days, possibly even weeks!
Do yourself a favour and open up a page and listen to the bands and artists tracks, you may just discover something magical.

-Alina

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved