Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Monday, October 18, 2010

SoGoPro Street Team Article Series: Fabulous Flickr Photography




Nice to have you all back with us for another edition of Fabulous Flickr Photography articles. Today, be warned, I am wearing a literary hat so we are going to start in dictionary corner! Off the cuff somewhat I know, but hell, I like to lead you all temporarily up the garden path.There is something unique in each one of us and up until I joined SGP and started sharing some of my photos on the flickr group, I would have said I was about as artistic as a colour blind dormouse! To be honest I still think that to be the case. Today is all about revealing to you, how meanings, dictionary definitions and interpretations of these can bring out the art in each one of us. If it goes according to plan, as I hope it does, it should link nicely to my "definition of the day"…. something that is of more than ordinary significance.

photo credit: Elise

It would appear that the folk at dictionary.com are not into huge long definitions, which for the purpose of this little article suits me down to the ground. So, if you are sitting comfortably, we can begin, with one very perfect word phonetically a bit of an ugly one: 'fuh-tog-ruh-fee'

Now I for one, and like many, love photography. It is a fickle little thing to get hooked on. It can be calming, but frustrating, tedious but pleasurable; it doesn’t always let you play by your rules, but builds lasting memories for many. It can remind you of something, someone, a place a time, a SGP film you are desperately keen to see made...


Photo credit :Lauren Michelle

Photography (fuh-tog-ruh-fee ) - noun


1. the process or art of producing images of objects on sensitized surfaces by the chemical action of light or of other forms of radiant energy, as x-rays, gamma rays, or cosmic rays.


2. cinematography.

So for the first definition we are hardly surprised are we? It is indeed a technical and precise process or art of producing images. So here I get stuck, and my brain starts to hurt - I am not a big fan of precision, surely art is freer, more open – talk of gamma rays and radiant energy bring me out in a cold sweat with hideous flashbacks to 'The labs' in school . If I didn't 'get it' then, I am unlikely to have any kind of vision, gamma or otherwise today! Anyways, tangent we will get there in the end, and that is thanks to the second dictionary definition of photography. Now this definition surprised me somewhat, I didn’t expect to see cinematography on a definition list for “fuh-tog-ruh-fee” (have you had enough of the phonetics yet? I think phonetics are highly underrated and very fun, but I can see how irksome they may become, so I shall stop before they get the better of me).
So, where was I, oh yes, the second definition of Photography being cinematography, so of course, what would dictionary corner be if we didn't plunge into this one too.

Cinematography–noun
The art or technique of motion-picture photography.


Now this is a doozie of a definition, two words I love in the same sentence, Art and Photography. These two little humdingers thrust together bring us the most amazing visual escape route from our everyday lives. Motion picture photography, how fantastic is that? Who in this life has never made a flicker book (not Flickr, although I am seeing the connection). Come on, you know, a note book where you draw a stick man bottom right corner. Well, stick man in my humble experience, or alternatively something more evolved for those of you who have pencils for fingers. Then on the next page you move him slightly, an arm, a leg continuting from page to page painstakingly patiently waiting to create your own motion picture. At the end you flick through the pages and your little man comes to life. I could have a long chat with this silent, audience about what I love in cinema I am not going to! I could go on about photography too, but rather than inflict that upon you I will move on to my last definition of the day - ART


Art – noun
The quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance


See, now the brighter sparks will have noticed how this little three letter word has figured in each of the above slots, it has crept in each time to add a common thread to a great set of definitions, ones I think we can all relate to. So you see last month we were lucky enough to have a great interview with a very talented lady who has found her Art. Which, by default means that like Becca, Dani and some other keen photographers on the Streeteam pool, they have defined their own ideas of beauty, expression and the part I love best –


" something of more than ordinary significance! "

And so there we have it - the loop as been looped, remember that your art, whatever it is, is defined by being 'something of more than ordinary significance'. So don't think your picture isn't artistic, don't believe your words aren't beautiful.......so until next time.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved