Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Friday, May 7, 2010

The SoGoPro Street Team Sunday Interview Series Presents: The Mother's Day Edition!


Name: Anneliese
Paris, France
SoGoPro Street Teamer for at LEAST 47 Weeks and 4 Days
SGP Profile
(Because this weeks feature is of significant length, click the link to view Annie's Profile!)

You all are familiar with Anneliese! Not only was she our first SoGoPro Street Team Award winner, but she is always hanging around on SoGoPro.com and continuously sharing beautiful pictures! I speak for several when I say that Annie is not only a mother of 2 beautiful children, but is also quite the motherly figure to our online SGP community! Boy, do we love her!
It is exciting to give you not one, but two interviews with Annie, one from Megan Mary (our featured member from last week) and the other from Astrid!

Because we consider this to be a very special edition of our Interview Series, you'll also get to see some beautiful photos and artwork submitted to us directly from Annie herself! Enjoy!

_______________________________________________
A beautiful picture of the SoGoPro logo by Anneliese's daughter, Amy

Anneliese has become a prominent member of the SoGoPro Street Team since joining the site nearly a year ago. As the winner of the very first Street Team award issued, it is clear that Anneliese is a strong supporter of SoGoPro who is known and admired by many in the SoGoPro community! Behind the scenes, Annie is also a chatroom moderator, as well as a flickr moderator. She works hard to maintain the SoGoPro photography page and photos of the month right on the website! (along with the help of Astrid!) Annie is a vital part of our SoGoPro community and it is with great pleasure I get to highlight her in this week's Sunday Interview Feature!

Megan: Tell us how you discovered SoGoPro


Anneliese:
Well now thats a question we have all been asked from time to time, and you know I am bound to disappoint with this answer as I cannot actually remember! *shameful I know*. Ok so first things first, over here OTH is called ‘ les Frères Scott’ (The Scott Brothers) and was on a Saturday afternoon (ironing time for me) hence from time to time whilst battling with the ironing, I would catch an episode of Les Frères Scott. . *TANGENT* dubbing on US/GB shows should be banned, it is possibly the quickest and most effective way to massacre any decent punch line and any play on words! I know that slightly after that I googled HB and came across a ‘you tube video’ of her talking about SGP. I guess I must have dug a bit deeper and eventually found my way over to the old blogger site, and the rest is history

Megan: Do you remember your first time in the chatroom?


Anneliese:
Hell yes it was a bit of a random experience if I do say so! ! I never attempted the original cbox chat, I joined the ‘bell ringing’ ‘’squeaky door’ ‘invisibility cloak’ chat instead. I had signed up initially (as most do) in a name that was a nickname for me, and was asked to change it, *real names only in the chat room* yes, I know, I should have read the guidelines first, but I didn't! (now y’all can poke fun at me when I remind you on chat) Seeing as I am horrendously technically challenged, it took me ages to sort that nickname-to-real-name same email type scenario.... Anyhow, once that was done I took the plunge and the the first person I chatted to was Astrid who told me if I stuck around I would end up hooked and so I did, and I am. For full disclosure purposes, I also managed to get *told off* for flooding chat and I am nearly sure I asked one of THOSE questions, you know the ones "are the Hellick ever in the chat room"! Then, enlightenment - I decided to read the guidelines. So, for anyone I have already reminded about flooding the chat, and reading the guidelines please know I have been there, done that and bought the t shirt!

Megan: Well I don't remember all THAT, I DO remember how quickly you learned the guidelines and how quickly you were promoted to a chatroom moderator, though! And you've been an amazing moderator ever since!!

Megan: Do you have a favorite blog, vlog, bbq, or podcast?

Anneliese:
Just the other day I re-watched the St Patrick’s day video and the one year anniversary video from street team to the Hellick and they are clearly awesome contributions from the streetteam – feel the love....

Megan: I just watched those again last night. All the videos submitted to the street team collaboration video were so sweet and inspiring! it does invoke a warm fuzzy feeling...
On their side, I love the BBQ’s because I love that our questions are answered by the Hellick. I love hearing the questions that us mad street teamers come up with for them too, and clearly was thrilled when Nick and Hilarie both answered some I had submitted. These three vlogs/podcasts stand out as being personal favourites of mine from the Hellick to us! HB has a super talent for narrating, would love to hear her narrate some audio books, maybe her own one of these days..... The Christmas podcast had me rolling around laughing, the spandex, the pudding, the laughs and it all came at a bit of a down moment for me, it really helped my mood! The treasure chest was marginally before my time, at least I didn't have anything concrete to contribute, and I am still really moved to see the hard work that went into it , and the clear delight of the Hellick when receiving it!

You can’t drink all day
Treasure Chest
The Christmas podcast

Megan: I have to say, you have shared some AMAZING photographs in our flickr group pool. I have favorited quite a few of them! If you had to choose just one (ok, maybe 2 or 3) photo(s) from your flickr set to represent SoGoPro - which one would you choose?


Anneliese:
Thanks my dear, means even more now I know how fussy you are about the pictures that you favourite! Ah the eternal question, what is Southern Gothic and how do we adapt a genre to a photograph. I don’t know, if I take the wiki definition of Southern Gothic genre especially in novels “One of the most notable features of the Southern Gothic is "the grotesque" — situations, places, or stock characters that often possess some cringe-inducing qualities — but enough good traits that readers find themselves interested nevertheless” To be honest I think I have just made answering a hard question even harder, the wiki definition covers the SoGo genre (not that any of my pictures are grotesque – I hope) and I guess if I add production for the ‘Pro’ the photos that I think I have on flickr that represent SoGoPro lean more towards locations....settings, places to film, places where bits and pieces of SoGoPros work could be set and for that I guess I would pick

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpswife/4042784580/in/set-72157620913734145/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpswife/3822803349/ and the last one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpswife/3736044408/in/set-72157620913734145/

Megan: case in point, I had all three of those photos favorited already!

Megan: If you were to visit Wilmington, NC - what is the first thing you would like to do or see?

Anneliese:
First stop The Whiskey for a beer! Then I would come see you Andrea and Madigan!

Megan: :) that would be lovely! I'll even meet you at the Whiskey for that beer.

Anneliese:
All joking apart, I am curious to see what the Street Team travel thingamajig comes up with, there are surely a host of fabulous places in Wilmington that are worth a visit. I think I would definitely take some time on Wrightsville beach, I have seen so many awesome pictures from under the pier that I would definitely go there camera in hand.
(Megan: I think you're thinking of the Carolina Beach/Kure beach piers, the wooden ones)


Anneliese : Thats the one - the Kure beach piers!
I miss being by the sea, one of the joys of growing up on an island but bizarrely especially in winter. I guess that is the Irish in me but I enjoy being cold on an empty beach or as near to empty as possible rather than hot on a crowded one! I have no problem being all wrapped up in coat, hat, scarf and boots to go for a walk on the beach in my case the more clothes the better!. I guess a trip to the Cotton Exchange for some shopping and why not the Two Sisters Bookery . The name is awesome, 'Bookery' is that even a word? Actually, the main reason for going there would be to see Jacs' tree - I would love to see it up close and see how she made it. Perhaps the Battleship north Carolina would be worth a visit, I am not sure how ‘exciting’ I would find it, but as with any element of modern life that tells a story, it has earned the right to be understood a little better.

Megan: I haven't visited the battleship, but I hear it's quite the hike to tour it. bring your good walking shoes!


Megan: Who do you think would win in a boxing match (no holds barred) - Nick or Hilarie?


Anneliese:
Jeepers, I reckon Hilarie would punch Nicks lights out! *apologies Mr Gray* I see Nick as a more of a Michael Flatly Lord of the Dance type when caged, you know, legs kind of independent from the rest of him. Actually now I am thinking about it I am scaring myself, I have this kind of cartoon imagery of Nicks lower half dancing furiously out of HB’s way whilst the upper half is busy writing on a notebook, humming Judith light and mentally composing tinkly tunes for the rest of us to enjoy.

Megan: HAHAHA. i am rolling on the floor!! great imagery!!


You recently had a SoGoPro meet-up in Paris. 1. I'm totally jealous I couldn't be there! 2. We haven't heard any stories about the trip yet! (only pictures) Do you have any fun things to share about what you guys did together?


Anneliese:
You know it’s a funny thing, I keep meaning to get around to writing a blog about it on the street team (whilst secretly hoping those more adept in the art of blogging get there first.............uhmm Hanne.........) We had a great time, we really did. Clearly there had been a financial commitment for Dani and Hanne as they both travelled to Paris and stayed here too, so I am glad that the volcano eruption and family commitments of some didn’t take away from a fun weekend. I guess you may need to ask them what their thoughts are but speaking for myself I can only say how much fun it was. Both Hanne and Dani are great ladies and it was a pleasure to get to know them over the long w/e. Oh and I apologise to both of them as my “mom mode” kicked in like an automatic weapon on day two when my kids were with us. In case I actually do get around to doing a blog I won’t give you all the details, but rather some teasers let’s just say.... our meet up involved – cameras, pigeons, a BIG spoon of Bearnaise sauce, sunsets, the kids menu for the adult, shoes off at the table, lolly pops, hot chocolate, snowy postcard, high heels, ‘juice-meeting-bag-incident’, sore feet, sun burn, ‘bad picture moment’ the ‘almost getting run over moment’, the ‘telling mom’ moment, free sweets in the hotel, pain au chocolats, croque Monsieur, the room with the view, the Mary Poppins look, the salad with the salad on the side, ‘waiting on our own table’ and of course the shameless promotion of SGP!

Megan: okay, i see a lot of chocolate, sugar, & more chocolate... even more jealous now. ;)

If you were going to make a scrapbook of your favorite moments related to SoGoPro and the people you've met through them, what would be some of the highlights?


Anneliese: Loads, but these are in NO particular order: first BBQ answered, unexpected friendships, first time KT popped into chat when I was there, the letters - HBIC, RSA, MM, H (you know who you are!) Secret santa, Shirts arriving, Flickr, Streetteam, Chat Moderator, feeling part of something, projects, escapism, art, talent. The 'powers that be' have a talent at making you feel part of something, valued and in confidence, and it is awesome and I thank y'all for it!


Megan: What do you hope to see SoGoPro accomplish in the next year?
Anneliese: I guess at the moment to fulfill a certain amount of projects that have been started. I wish them ultimately sucess on the financial front, cause I guess if they can pull in the financial support, it means some SUITS believe in them and what they do and the natural progression should follow. I just hope that whilst the community continues to grow, that the relationships between us all stay! I would also love to see some more movement on Pedestrian I have built up a whole 'mental picture' of how I see this and I cannot wait to see what it turns out to be.


____________________________

Mother's day Portion- Presented by Astrid

A quick introduction: Annie is our "resident mum" who was born and raised in Northern Ireland and later moved to France where she is raising her own family.


Astrid: First off, how did you end up in France and did you find the adjustment hard?

Anneliese: Well there is always a moment in your life when you can pinpoint a time of serious change right? Well I can remember that day clear like it was yesterday. It seems weird now looking back but selecting the subject you want to study in School A levels was a turning point for me. Crikey it was a while ago, so here I am at 16 years old the day before I hand in my subject selections. I was sure for History and Politics, but was having a real nightmare on my last choice Economics or French....and I guess I have my dad to thank for the decision which ensued. He told me to do what I wanted, it was my life, I had to live it and for that, I thank him. French won (thank goodness cause I am a damned site better at French than maths!) The rest followed suit, degree in French and Politics in hand I came over to France to work for a year. The adjustment wasn’t that hard, I could already speak the language and I had already spent time here and knew I could live off nothing other than cheese, bread and pain au chocolats if necessary! Since then I actually haven't looked back, that was January 2000!

Astrid: That's amazing. So if you had gone with economics and not French, your life would have gone a different direction completely. Glad French won out!

Did you consciously decide to raise your family in France rather than Ireland

Anneliese: Another doozie of a question, short answer no, but then I don’t think I ever consciously decided I was going to stay here either! Once you have a job, your home, your boyfriend who becomes your husband and you start thinking about kids moving becomes so much more complicated. Things snow ball, I do miss people and things from Ireland, I love the simple beauty of the place, punjana teabags, potato bread, the accent, the familiarity, but oddly now, if we had to move back I would miss so many things about France too. All in all I have spent almost half my life in France and half in N Ireland, just a couple of rogue years spent in the UK in between.

Astrid:I don't know much about either of the two but from what I do know, I reckon you've experienced the best of both worlds. And you're lucky you're just a train/plane ride away from Ireland (weather/natural disasters permitting that is!!)

To date, what have been some of the rewarding things about being a mum to 2 girls and what would you say has been the most challenging?

Anneliese: Wow this could take ages, they are still so young and I have already had so many ‘rewarding moments’. I guess the ‘firsts’ are the most striking mom moments though. These happen from the very beginning and I mean the VERY beginning – first time you throw up with morning sickness, the first time since you were in diapers you can’t get through the night without having to pee, the first scan the first kicks, the first contraction – moving swiftly on, I don’t want to scare y’all! The very ‘first real smile’ is one you do not tend to forget. Newborns are vampires, remember that, if that is all you do. They sleep all day, lull you into a false sense of security, and then come sun down they become these crazed attention seeking noise boxes! Then, just as you are ready to give up – throw the towel in deciding you are the world’s worst mom ...... they smile at you - a perfectly timed magic moment which makes you instantly forgive the last 6 weeks or so. It is all a steep learning curve. The little things are special -seeing two chubby arms outstretched to say hi at the end of the day, the bed head first thing in the morning and the fact that noone can ever be to your child what you are! The challenging times of late have been the injuries, both girls have had their moments, but Amy’s recent break/surgery really pushed me to the limit for a few days emotionally. The most rewarding things about kids, in my opinion, is what you get back from them on a daily basis. At the moment they are too young to realise how much they give me. At the end of the day we are all someone’s kids right? We screwed up, and I know mine will too, no one is perfect, I just hope we always keep our communication channels open, it is the only way to go! Just remember, little kids, little problems, big kids bigger problems! I love this you tube video of the mom song, I am sure you have all seen it but it never fails to raise a smile!


Astrid: I love that link. I received it a few years back in an email and I thought it was just perfect. Those are some very endearing moments and it's nice that such a forum allows you to share them with a larger audience. Especially with Mother's Day just around the corner, it must be lovely to reflect on the joys (and trials!) of motherhood!
Speaking of the big day, are you hoping for anything specific for mother’s day? The standard flowers and chocs or something different ?


Anneliese:
If only the standard chocs and flowers were on the agenda! You have no idea how ingenious the schools/crèches are for finding super ideas for the little ones to MAKE mother’s day gifts. There have been a few in the last few years. The painted macaroni necklace – and guys I am sorry if you ever made one for your own mom but here is the hard truth..... Yes, as a mom we all gush and thank you and compliment your talent – we promise to wear the necklace to work, of course we do, and you will NEVER see us slipping it off discretely before we get into the car! The cute poems they make the kids learn are nice, but the best was Amys button bracelet from last year. It did make it into work, and even into a meeting or two, she was proud of that one! *rummages around for a picture*

Astrid: Oh my goodness I remember those awful arts and crafts projects we had to make for mothers day! My mom actually kept some of them for the longest time. Amazing how generations later, kids are still making the same things, lol!

Anneliese: I am keeping them now! trust me these are the things that are worth their weight in gold!

Astrid: So, since joining the extended SoGoPro family, have you learnt anything new about yourself that has changed you as a mom?

Anneliese: Not really, I think I have perhaps found myself a little again thanks to SGP. I am certainly investing myself in some new projects and making new friends, and it is a system that suits me and my lifestyle very well. I don’t think it has changed my interaction with the girls though, except that Amy is developing an unhealthy obsession for big iron gates!

Astrid: Well if nothing else, I am sure she gets to experience a erm...darker appreciation of art?! :D

On that note of kids and SoGoPro, I have to say, I am constantly amazed at your multi-tasking abilities. Balancing work life with family and finding time for SoGoPro (amongst other things) - how do you do it and what is about the website/chat room that keeps you coming back?

Anneliese: Astrid is cheating; she is asking tripled barrelled questions! How do I balance work life/family and finding time for SGP? Easy peasy, heres my secret, there are 36 hours in my day! Sometimes I think ‘balance’ is an overly kind way of saying for ‘hanging on by the skin of my teeth’. I guess I am lucky I don’t have to work too hard at it though because I am happy with all the aspects of my life. Don’t get me wrong, there is room for improvement on many levels, but I enjoy working full time, talking to grownups all day is good for me, I know my kids are happy in their respective environments and SGP is a welcome escape for me. It’s something I enjoy being involved in and although geographically I am far away, it is something that is personal to me, that allows me to be me and not just the wife and mom. I have said this before on chat I think, but the thing with SGP which keeps me wanting to come back is the diversity, all aspects of art/cinema/literature/music are embraced by this company. It is awesome to see our own street team members come out of their shells, find themselves and share their talent with everyone, and to see their efforts rewarded by Nick, KT and Hilarie is just a great example of how much we can all learn from each other.

Astrid: LOL! at least I started off with the simpler questions :P If "hanging on by the skin of my teeth" is how you manage it, then you certainly do it gracefully because you hardly ever come across as flustered! Oh and I have to say, I agree with you about the diversity! It is one of the reasons that keeps me coming back too.
Being part of an online community and seeing the evolution of communication (with the introduction of social media eg Facebook) first hand, would you encourage or prevent your girls from being active online?

Anneliese:
Daddy is an IT specialist! So I wish the girls luck getting around his restrictions. Hopefully we are not quite there yet though it is something that is a real issue and one that does need to be addressed – the earlier the better! I am fairly laid back about a lot of things but the power of Social media is something that makes me nervous with regards to children. You know you spend the first 18 years of your life wishing you were grown up and the next 18 wishing you could slow time down a bit and sometimes I think that there can be cause for concern for the more vulnerable. Amy can and does use MSN and skype to talk to her grandparents, it is cool to see her open the laptop and launch the application and then spend 10 mins chatting, at the moment she is pretty limited in her usage and I guess I will have to think carefully about this one over the next few years!

Astrid: It's amazing how quick they learn! If Amy, at 5, can already manage MSN and Skype, imagine what new tricks she'll be teaching you in the future! Perhaps even some photography editing??!! Which brings me to my next question...

Your amazing photography is something that comes up often in chat. How did you fall into it? Did you take any courses? Did the nature of your photography change once you discovered SoGoPro? What is your favorite piece of camera equipment? Who/what is your favorite subject to photograph?


Anneliese: Thank you for the compliment I am feeling very red and embarrassed at the moment, ears burning, blushing and so on. I have been interested in visuals for a long time. Ever since I can remember, I would have loved to be able to draw or create an image and being incapable of drawing anything at all I gravitated towards photography. My brother and husband are both very involved in photography and I can remember being fascinated by the old box camera that belonged to my grandfather. What I love about photography is that you really do capture a moment, an instant. I have never taken any courses and I don’t think it is something I am likely to do at the moment either although I wouldn’t rule it out. At uni I loved taking photographs but it was so expensive at the time using 36 exposure black and white Ilford films, not to mention the developing and then trashing at least half of the pictures that were useless. I defy anyone of this day and age to go out to ‘take pictures’ all day and use only 36 shots! SGP gave me an ongoing project, looking at different items, views, and I have kind of become a gates/doors and windows junkie! Those probably wouldn’t have been high on my priority list a few years ago! Of all the cameras/material we have kicking around at home I have a special weakness for my Panasonic lumix, it is a compact camera, that comes everywhere with me, oh and I used to love the lightweight tripod we had too, but it kind of met a nasty end at Christmas when trying to get pictures of Santa as he left the gifts! Last part of this 5 part question, yes 5 parts RSA..... favourite thing to photograph are things that make me smile, my kids, weddings, and as I said gates/doors and windows they tend not to move as much ;)

Astrid: Oooo yes, I love the pictures you take of the girls.

They are fantastic subjects and you have a great knack for capturing the special moments. Glad to hear how you got your starts! So as a reprieve from the multi-barreled questions (haha) I'll end off with a simple question... Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Anneliese: I am with Stephen Hawking on this one, definitely the egg!


Happy Mother's Day to all you fab mommys out there! And to our Anneliese!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved