Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Sunday, May 2, 2010

SoGoPro Street Team Sunday Feature Series: Megan! (MM)


Name: Megan (MM)
Wilmington, NC
SoGoPro Admin for at LEAST 50 Weeks 1 Day
SGP Profile

About Me : 1/2 of the SoGoPro web admin team
you can call me Megan, MM, Megan Mary, Meg, Purple.. whatever.
I'm from Minnesota.
I can either be really quiet or really hyper, depending on the time of day.
I like to meet new people, but it will take anyone who meets me a LONG time to get to know me.
I'm a gemini. figure it out.

Favorite Music: i dig the oldies, motown, classical, jazz, hokum, dixieland, techno-ish, piano-ish, 80's, and pretty much anything i can groove to. I don't like country or rap or heavy metal.....

Favorite Books: I used to be absolutely GLUED to books, I've regretfully lost my passion for reading. But I still think you should read The Perks of Being a Wallflower during those shitty high-school years, and Running With Scissors when you think YOUR life might be crazy, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (and watch the movie after you read the book, it's good too), White Oleander (I happened to love the movie version as well..), Speak, 1984, The Secret Life of Bees (see that film too), The Giver, The Little Prince, and Stolen Lives
My current fav reading material: "Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places" by Brad Steiger - I love me some ghost stories

Favorite Movies: Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, Tommy Boy, Ace Ventura - When Nature Calls, 28 Days, American Beauty, Superstar, Steel Magnolias, Beaches, Fried Green Tomatoes, Girl Interrupted, The Secret Life of Bees, I am Sam, Stepmom, Eulogy, Saved!, The Jerk, Miss Congeniality, Practical Magic, The Skeleton Key, Labyrinth, Monster, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Heathers, Nightmare Before Christmas, White Oleander, Black Sheep, Forces of Nature, Lost & Delirious, Donnie Darko, Mean Girls, Billy Madison, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Bad Seed, The Exorcist, Child's Play, The Book of Stars, The Royal Tenenbaums, Harold & Maude, Thelma & Louise, Running with Scissors, Imagine Me and You, The Virgin Suicides, Igby Goes Down, Swimming with Sharks, The Go-Getter, Beetlejuice, Return to Oz, Paperhouse ... I don't like making these lists because I know I've forgotten at least 800 movies. [to be continued]
I'll watch anything with Steve Martin, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Chris Farley, Molly Shannon, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel, Steve Carrel, Dakota Fanning, Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Kline.. the list goes on.
_____________________________________________________
Last week we were PSYCHED to give you an conversation between Charlotte and Ali! Well- thanks to the fantastic "Pay It Forward" method, we now get to see Ali interview another special SoGoPro Crew Member, MM! For those of you who don't know this fantastic lady, now is a great chance! Not only will you find MM hanging around in chat but she's constantly working behind the scenes to keep SoGoPro.com updated, and looking spiffy! Not to mention she is a lovely person to catch up with in chat- so please enjoy this week's interview! I'll let Ali take it from here!
__________________

Ali:
ok - have to admit - KT and Kendall called my bluff when i tried to beg out of being interviewed
but conducting interviews - hmmm...
i can think of a few hundred that i admire and continue to learn from
that i wouldn't know without Southern Gothic Productions
who i'm truly interested in learning about more
but i'm gonna trust the team interviews to bring them all to the surface in due time.

if i'm gonna get dragged into the limelight,
then i'm gonna introduce and thank one of the people who has been beside us from the beginning
__________________

Ali: Starting with a soft ball - quoting your January 2009 Blogger Profile:
If you were a wrestler, what would be your finishing move?
"a curtsy"
Does that still hold true?

Megan: absolutely.

Ali:(whew - good start)
Jumping into the deep end,
I'll admit to burning full speed into some steep learning curves for me -
(eg/ um, INTJ me - social?!)

Megan: i'm an ENFP. how are we so opposite and still so alike?

Ali:does that make us Doppelgangers? DON'T answer that!

Megan: maybe like yin-yang...
(oh dear - i need to be less cryptic - Robin's gonna call me on it)

Ali: are there any skills you've sharpened since helping to wrangle SoGoPro?

Megan: I have sharpened soooo many skills!! HOLY CRAP. for one, I've learned how to read between the lines
(as is necessary when talking to you, hehe).

Ali: touche!

Megan: I've DEFINITELY sharpened my web design/html/java/ blah blah blah CODING skills.
(Many thanks to Andrea for teaching me some new tricks along the way.)
And I think I've just sharpened my communication skills too!
There is SO much communication that needs to happen between all of us, and I can be a pretty independent do-it-on-your-own type of person,
I've learned to communicate my ideas and thoughts with a group in a much more productive way!

Ali: That's so true - it's hard to explain the kind of free-form collaboration that happens with the SoGoPro team support, but it's all about communication in many formats.

Megan: MANY formats! which makes it interesting and fun. it's ALWAYS a learning experience, that's for sure!

Ali: Admit it - you love playing in Flickr/Picnik and Photoshop, too!

Megan: HECK YES I DO. I learned how to use Picnik thanks to SoGoPro forcing me to join Flickr ;)
Oh, I've also learned to use SO many new networking sites I had never even heard of before... twitter, flickr, last.fm, shelfari.. whew, is that it?

Ali: For all your fussing at me about cramming "too many widgets" on a blog/website, is there any one feature you truly enjoy/take pride in?

Megan: i'm thinking hard about this one...
I think I enjoy the team pages the most. (i.e. book club, music page, photography page)
But more than that, I enjoy the fact that so many people have stepped up to help out in so many ways.
SO many of the pages that are on the site now are the result of input and help from so many street team members, and I have to say I'm pretty proud of how well everyone works together to make the site what it is.
It also makes me very happy that people are dedicated enough to keep those pages updated!!

Ali: I may live in a bubble - but i don't know of any other community that interacts and contributes quite like this!
Charlotte (straight forward as always) reminded me of a few "UhOhs"
(like me blocking my own IP address - thinking i was a stalker *blush*
and your brilliant save - one particularly fateful night when Hilarie dropped into chat)
Are there any that stick out for you - that we can laugh about - now?

Megan: One "uhoh" that sticks out for me is when I forgot I was logged in as an admin on the blogger site and I went and commented on a street teamer blog.
I saw the name "Hilarie Burton" show up under my comment instead of my OWN name, and I almost had a heart attack!
I don't think you guys ever found out about that one though.. :P (it was Kaitlin's blog, so I had her delete it right away!) WOOPS!

Ali: LOLLLL - had a few "security/identity crisis moments" like that myself

Megan: We've had soo many uh-ohs, I think I try to block them out and focus on the "yay we did it!"s

Ali: Can you give some advice from your own experience to those who want to move to ILM/LA/NY and work in the entertainment industry?

Megan: BE PREPARED. I prepared myself for YEARS. I always knew I was going to move away to see if I could find work in the entertainment industry,
so I spent all 4 years of college working full time and saving my money (WHILE getting my degree in a completely unrelated field - to fall back on!). best idea i ever had.
Jobs (of ANY sort, not just entertainment-related) are not easy to come by in this economy... so be prepared for unemployment.
get as much experience as you can doing ANYTHING you can! I definitely need to get involved in more indie projects around town! beef up the resume.
Network, network, network. Networking doesn't necessarily mean you'll get your foot in any doors - but you may have the opportunity to learn a LOT from experienced people!
Work for what you want. Don't just kiss people's asses and expect them to hold your hand and offer you a job. WORK FOR IT!
____________

Ali: what's your favorite post from the old Blogger site?

Megan: Probably Hilarie's reaction to the video we made (St. Patrick's Day video 2009)
or Kelly's "humble beginnings" post. That was one of the most insightful posts I think I've read
I also really loved the "Young People's Speaker" vlog Hilarie and Nick posted. SO random and hilarious.

Ali: What's your favorite post from SoGoPro.com?

Megan: i feel like this is a quiz.. I'm having such a hard time remembering where the two sites split...

Ali: cue Queen?

Megan: dum dum dum didi dum dum

Ali: you started it!

Megan: wait.. did I?? pretty proud of that, if that's true. ;)
(for the newbies, yes - this is a random tangent - translates to 'PRESSURE!')

Ali: (okay, lost the topic - reading back)

Megan: Can I just say F.U.C.T.? Not necessarily a post, but I absolutely loved it.

Ali: Does that include the hard work we put you through shooting kt's webi?
(I'm so glad you got so many great pictures - fun to look at as we wait for that to air)

Megan: YES!! that was an awesome day (well, two days for us). I had been on the One Tree Hill set as an extra, prior to that, but actually being part of the crew on a set was a new experience, and it was so much fun!
I just remember seeing the MASSIVE shot list for the day and then being in awe at how smoothly the crew worked together to get it all done in ONE day. It was very impressive.
I really can't wait to see the final product!

_______________

Ali: Do you have a favorite photo from the SoGoPro Flickr group?

Megan: ARE YOU KIDDING?? I have WAY too many! you can look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganmcteague/favorites ;)
are you going to force me to pick some?

Ali: *taps foot*

Megan: hello Graphic Novel setting: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpswife/3837173891
this has always been a fav too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36260434@N06/3519742963
and this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36260434@N06/3412256625
and this one is magical: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imaleksandra/4518525498/

Ali: Any movies suggested by crew that you've discovered and enjoyed?

Megan: Swimming with Sharks, actually suggested by YOU!

Ali: UhOh

Megan: A little frightening.. but I'm a sucker for Kevin Spacey. and I'm a sucker for TWISTED movies.

Ali: Any YouTube clips suggested in chat that you might not have discovered without SoGo?

Megan: All the Lauren clips from the Catherine Tate show! something I would have never known about if it weren't for the UK crew sharing it in chat:)

Ali: You claim you don't read but i'm gonna ask anyway - are there any books that make you think of SoGoPro?

Megan: The only book I read from the SoGoPro book club was The Pillowman.. cuz it's a play. I LOVED IT :) and then of course the book (and movie) 'The Secret Life of Bees' will always remind me of SoGoPro.
Partly because it's a little Southern Gothic.. but really because when they made the movie out of it, i was so excited to see it I signed up for Google alerts related to it.
I ended up reading an article that talked about Hilarie Burton and her production company, and that's what led me to SoGoPro in the first place!
And lo & behold, you even worked on that film! small world. ;-)

Ali: Do you have a favorite new song you've learned from SoGoPo team?

Megan: I have a few..
Dangerous Muse - In This Town
Florence and The Machine - Dog Days are Over
Thrice - The Lion and the Wolf
The Format - Snails
Loquat - Swingset Chain
Chris Garneau - Relief
Pash - Kill the Rich Boys II
and OF COURSE, Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple.
(i think it was joke to begin with when Billy put that on his playlist...)

Ali: So many jokes and great experiences shared with so many wonderful people -
thanks, Megan, for being one of the ones that can be counted on!

Megan: *wipes away a tear* it's my pleasure! thanks for putting your trust in me and being such a great mentor over the last 14 (?) months!!

_______________
Pretty great read eh? Gotta love these two- They work very hard and are truly wonderful SoGo women!
Leave your thoughts and comments below :)

Stay tuned for next week's special Mother's Day Edition!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved