Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Monday, April 19, 2010

Better Than Yesterday

We hear old men say, "Those were the days...". Old women talk about the times prior to crows feet, laugh lines and stretch marks. We've all heard the phrase 'the good old days' and chances are we've all, at some point, believed (even if for a moment) the old days were the good ones. However, no one has successully invented a time machine for us to go back and relive the so-called "glory days" so we better start making the most of our futures and we better start doing that today!

Art Buchwald said it well when he said, "We seem to be going through a period of nostalgia, and everyone seems to think yesterday was better than today. I don't think it was and would advise you not to wait ten years before admitting today was great. If you're hung up on nostalgia, pretend today is yesterday and just go out and have one hell of a time."

I'm all for holding onto good memories and learning from mistakes. I am very much in favor of giving recognition to how someone got their start and praising them for their success and determination despite the let downs. However (and especially for those who live their lives in the spotlight), if they are going to continue to grow and move forward then who are we to get hung up on a point in their career and define that as their best? Should that not be for them to decide? I would want that decision to be mine. I have favorite moments in the careers of my favorite celerbrities but if I classify those moments as "the best" then I have condemned even the dreams they have yet to dream to defeat. I have also gauranteed that I will miss out on something nothing short of brilliance. (I hope you still aren't lost on what inspired me to write this, and if you are, well the inspiration isn't as important as the message itself.)

If I had to choose one motto for my life it would be 'the best is yet to come'. My past was great, the old days were good, but I have to tell you it keeps getting better. And if history is any indicator, it's going to keep getting better. If we live our lives with the attitude that we've already seen the best days (for ourselves and those around us) then what are the rest of them for?

"You should chase whatever excites you. Be confident and take risks." Make your tomorrow better than yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved