Simply Hilarie

Simply Hilarie
Coming Soon

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Dying Words of Edison Strange Review

Yesterday night, I was able to watch a table reading of The Dying Words of Edison Strange performed by members of the Athens community who work with the theatre program. It was such a treat to be able to sit on the side of the stage and watch the words on the pages jump to life and I enjoyed every minute of it.

While the Athenians (yes, that's what I'm calling them) had a five minute walk or drive to the church where the reading took place, I drove an hour and a half. I did see a friend for dinner beforehand, but it was kind of funny when I walked in and everyone knew each other!

I got to the church pretty early so I sat in and watched the pre reading of the play. Note to self: do NOT walk in halfway through the reading because confusion will set in. Guess where I walked in? Toward the end...No worries though!

The play takes place in New Jersey in 1947. I love time pieces so I had a good feeling about it. Edison has a talent--he has spiritual experiences with the dead. I don't want to give too much out about it because everything that happened was surprising and shocking. Believe me, when Herzog (Edison's assistant) told Edison about Betty Victory, I nearly fell off my seat.

As I said, Edison has spiritual experiences with the dead. His mother, Helena Strange died 17 years ago and still finds ways to annoy him. Herzog, his assistant, sets up a meeting with Edison and Betty Victory--she is what Nick described as a "femme fatale" in her 20s. Betty wants Edison to bring Henry Victory, her brother to life and have one last experience with him. Again, this is where I stop talking because I can't spill a lot.

Who else am I missing? Edison's doorman, Dmitriy, who has one eye and a hatred for Germans. His wife, Faina, was a botanist/manicurist who died 6 years ago and also finds ways to haunt Edison and Herzog. They have a daughter named Ira, who seems to be majorly crushing on Edison...she feels her mother's presence in her room. Creepy right?

If any of you remember Nick's blog about the play (http://www.sogopro.com/node/1229), you'll know that he said he wrote the part of Betty Victory FOR Hilarie. I saw it from the minute Betty Victory said her first line. Everything about the part screams Hilarie. The woman playing Betty Victory was in her 40s so it didnt have the same effect, but it was still good.

Everyone really enjoyed the play. The people around me complemented the rhythm of the play and raved at the one liners that Nick wrote in.

The hour and a half drive was worth it and I figured it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity of seeing a play from a playwright that I enjoy hearing from. Learning the background of how Nick constructed Edison and the characters and to see it right in front of me was really a treat.

The guy who read Edison, Zach, said he really liked the play and Edison and I have to agree. Edison is a quirky guy, yet I couldn't help but laugh at him.

For me, the play was about saying the words you don't get to when you're alive. The only way the dead could communicate with their loved ones was through Edison. Edison was able to transform himself into these people and could relay the words that were never spoken to them.

One line of the play (I forgot who said it) but was "your words, they taste like licorice"

Nick, your words were sweet and enjoyable--exactly like licorice.

Thank you for writing Edison Strange-- I had a great time last night and was very excited to see a Nick Gray play.

-Lissy

Edison Strange, Dmitriy and Herzog (taken w/ my iPhone)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Machine- Did you miss any of these popular posts?

 
© The SoGoPro Street Team 2010 All Rights Reserved